If you don’t quite have all your holiday shopping done or need a last minute hostess gift, we can help you out. Wrap up a healthful and creative gift with food you have on hand, items available at local stores or be willing to give the gift of time.
Our ideas promote health in a variety of ways, including foods rich in nutrients and cancer-fighting phytochemicals. Some items add flavor and zest to an overall healthful diet. Finally, we include a few non-food items to keep friends and family active.
- Trail Mix: Toss together some nuts, dried fruit, dark chocolate and whole grain cereal and put in an attractive jar or cellophane bag and tie with a colorful ribbon.
- Three-Ways Hot Cocoa Mix: Our recipe includes instructions for serving this as hot cocoa, chai tea or mocha.
- Personalized Gift Certificate: Give the gift of a special home cooked meal or a year’s worth of monthly healthy treats for a friend or family member. Write the details in a holiday card or print out a colorful gift certificate using a template from the Internet.
- Gourmet Food Basket: If you live near a grocery store, pick out specialty items like gourmet mustard, flavored vinegars, tins of tea, bags of coffee and dried or fresh fruits. Place in a tissue paper lined basket and top off with a large bow.
- Herb Bouquet: If you grow herbs in your kitchen or still have herbs growing outside, put together a bouquet of basil, rosemary and parsley or whatever herbs you have. Wrap in cellophane like a florist and add a ribbon for a fragrant and beautiful gift.
- Recipe Collection: Put together some of you favorite healthy recipes on card, or in a notebook. Personalize it for the recipient’s cooking skill and enthusiasm level. Include ingredients for one of the recipes or add some shiny new measuring spoons or cups. Check out our holiday recipes with fun facts – ready to print.
- Fun and Games Box: For the very last minute shopping, the CVS, Walgreen’s or local pharmacy equivalent will probably be open late. Pick up a pedometer, heart rate monitor, hand warmers, sun block and stretch bands or jump ropes.
What last minute gift ideas do you have?